Friday, March 21, 2003

machy

this was taken from our war debate on email today, my friend machy wrote this in response to why democratic societies ie US possess nukes, i think i was a great response.

~

We're not happy that nukes exist at all. But they do. They're currently at the
situation where to disarm would be to invite disaster. Say the US takes the
brave step of disarming. All of a sudden, countries with nukes raise an eyebrow
spying an opportunity to strike without retaliation. The situation sucks but the
nukes act as a preventative measure.

Also you seem to think that the US are a bunch of bloodthirsty savages who would
take any action to crush their foes. I'm inferring this becos you seem to think
they would use their nukes first chance they get. So why don't they? They know
the consequences. That is a detterrent in itself. As Lu said, they are a strong
democratic country. If common sense doesn't prevail in the government it will in
the people. No matter their disregard for foreign policy they still dont want to
use nukes.

Compare this to a rogue nation with nothing to lose. They will use their nukes
as soon as the end is in site. These rogue nations are usually ruled by militant
dictators. They have absolute control and noone to answer to. This is a
dangerous situation. I would rather not sit back and wait and see if they have
the common sense to NOT use the nukes. I would rather see them be disarmed.

North Korea? If it wasn't for their missile test fires over japan I probably
wouldn't consider them as much of a threat. But they openly flaunt their ability
to fire missiles. When faced with a country that is that belligerent with their
weapons I start to get fearful. Yes, US has the nukes. But have they ever
threatened other countries with missiles unless they were threatened first? It
comes down to who you can trust. While I don't agree with US foreign policy I
trust their regime to not instigate a nuclear war.

Ok, the Cold war days. Both sides had nukes with fingers poised on the triggers.
They were willing to use them IF the other side used them first. If each side
was truly willing to use them they would have. But they obey the laws of common
sense. Consequences Efe, it keeps everything even. To use a nuke would be like
exploding one on your own country due to the counterattack. This I believe keeps
everything even, I believe this is what eventually helped defuse the Cuban
missile crisis.

Yes, for the betterment of the world, everyone must disarm. Lets work toward
that goal, sure. But before we do that, lets keep the nukes from the "rogues" of
the world. One goal at a time Efe.

I could be talking out of my ass. I have no idea. All I know is I'm really
hungry and this email took longer than I expected.


~

No comments: